First, I should start by saying that I don’t exercise regularly and the last time I practiced yoga was in college with the exception of a pilates class I took when Ana Caban was in town a year ago. I was shy about stretching what I thought were my stiff legs and arms, but I got right back into the downward facing dog, child’s pose, shvanasana and many other positions at the Hot Ki Power Vinyasa class led by Isauro Fernandez.
Though working out has obvious benefits, sweating from exercise can be more than a temporary issue for women who battle adult acne. However, Dr. Diane Berson says that sweat doesn’t cause breakouts. Sweating is the body’s way of cooling down, but when mixed with natural oils, it creates a film that sits on the skin which can clog pores and lead to zits.
Did you know?
It turns out that the causes of teen and adult acne are actually the same, but they should not be treated equally. Dr. Berson says that the majority of acne treatments in the market are designed for teenagers meaning that skin care options for women with acne-prone skin are limited because adult skin often has challenges like:
- Combination skin Alternates between oily and dry patches.
- Slower skin turnover Makes facial skin susceptible to clogged pores and breakouts.
- Fragile skin barrier Makes facial skin more vulnerable to the side effects of common acne treatments, including irritation, redness and severe dryness.
- Hormonal fluctuations Caused by menstruation, menopause, or stress can lead to breakouts.
- Post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation (PIH) Discolorations of the skin caused by acne lesions and severe or prolonged irritation from harsh acne treatments.
- Aged appearance Decreases in skin’s elasticity cause visibly enlarged pores.
- Smoking Associated with an increased risk of blemishes in a recent study.
As if adult women don’t have enough things to worry about, right?
To maintain a strong barrier, Dr. Berson says moisturization is key and recommends the following daily regimen:
The Olay Professional Pro-X Clear Line is a 3-step daily skin care regimen that is designed to treat acne and minimize the appearance of pores and refine texture. Here’s how it works:
- Step 1: Olay Professional Pro-X Clear Pore Clarifying Cleanser: A wash off salicylic acid acne treatment that reduces oil and removes dead skin to help prevent clogged pores, while helping prevent new acne from forming.
- Step 2: Olay Professional Pro-X Clear Skin Clearing Treatment: A full face leave-on salicylic acid treatment designed to bring acne under control and help prevent future breakouts.
- Step 3: Olay Professional Pro-X Clear Complexion Renewing Lotion: A sheer moisturizer that hydrates to help fade the look of spots and redness for an overall renewed appearance.
My Adult Acne Diary Update:
I’ve been sticking to the regimen by dermatologist gave me a year ago with two prescribed acne creams, but I just started to use the Olay Pro-X Clear UV Moisturizer. I put it on over my morning cream and before applying makeup. It’s a light lotion and just takes a few seconds.
Over half of women in the U.S. between the ages of 25 and 58 have some form of acne. The average age for acne patients is on the rise, increasing from 20.5 years to 26.5 years between 1997 and 2007.
Through my experience with treating adult acne, I’ve learned that it’s definitely more about preventive care. So find out what works for you and abide by it.
What’s your skin care regimen before and/or working out?
Disclaimer: I was not compensated for this post. Beauty bloggers received a complimentary yoga class, Olay Pro-X Clear products and yoga mat.